As well as your commitment to training, PhabKids need you to pay just as much attention to your fundraising. Our running events, like those of many charities are our largest source of income, making it really important for us, that you put in lots of effort. This is why we have come up with some tips and ideas to help you get the most out of your fundraising.
Fundraising tips from Phab
1. Start as soon as possible. Adopt a similar determined and planned approach to your fundraising as you do for your training. Carry a sponsorship form with you at all times. (Additional sponsor forms available on request)
2. Enlist the help of others, encourage family, friends and work colleagues to help fundraise on your behalf. Rather than cold calling, try to target organisations, businesses or individuals where you have a contact.
3. Make a list of all your family, friends and work colleagues as well as associates you know through sporting and social activities. It helps to list them in separate sections and decide how you are going to approach them and what you want to say to them.
4. Face to face is best. It is more difficult for sponsors to say no if you are in front of them. If you can't meet with them, send them a letter, fax or email.
5. Meet as many potential sponsors as you can. Contact your local newspaper or company newsletter and tell them about your venture. We will supply you with a press release.
6. Get Creative. Decide if sponsorship is going to be your only way of raising funds or if you want to organise a fundraising event such as a coffee morning, village party, quiz night, tombola or whatever works for you.
7. Notice boards. Don't forget the value of a work or local pub notice board for displaying a poster.
8. Your own employer can often be the best source of funds. Approach your boss and ask if your company would match the sum of money you raise pound for pound.
9. In our experience the hardest part of any sponsored event, including the Virgin Money London Marathon, is collecting your sponsors money after the event. Wear your medal with pride at all times. We encourage our runners to collect their sponsorship prior to the event. A post dated cheque for the day after the Marathon is ideal.
10. If you wish, set up a "Your Name" Phab-Marathon bank account and pay all your sponsorship money into that account, then send one cheque from that account. Remember all cheques must be made payable to "Phab Marathon".
11. Don't forget online sponsorship through Justgiving or Virgin Money Giving.
For instructions for updating your Virgin Money Giving account with offline donations, click HERE
For instructions for updating your Just Giving account with offline donations, click HERE
Three final things to remember:-
To Phab you are all true heroes and heroines.
Remember that most of the people you are asking for money could run but probably never will.
More importantly, you are raising money for people who would love to be able to run but are not able to.